Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Adventurous Rabbit survived her first backpacking trip!


This trip was primarily to test out my gear in preparation for joining Cameron on the John Muir Trail in August.  The trail we hiked is a section of the Pacific Crest Trail in the Caliente Wilderness.  Right away I learned the importance of proper weight placement in my pack.  The weight was too low and the straps dug into my shoulders.  We stopped for lunch and I had Mountain House Macaroni and Cheese that tasted a lot like Easy Mac, but much more filling.  After we remedied the weight issue we continued hiking. The trail was hot with limited shade and wind.  The countless bees provided motivation to hike faster past the wildflowers. After hiking about 6 miles we took a side trail to where a creek would have been earlier in the season and set up camp.  My dinner consisted of Backpacker's Pantry Pesto Salmon Pasta which was surprisingly good.  I was exhausted and ready for bed right after dinner. I can't say I slept well.  Even though I had a pad under my sleeping bag I felt the hardness of the ground.  We got an early start and made great time on the 6 miles back to the car.  I was also cursing obnoxious flies that kept buzzing around my head the entire way back.  Although I was pretty sore by the time we were done, it was a great experience!

*for more information on backpacking and hiking check out Cameron's blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...