Black Friday through Cyber Monday I will be offering free shipping on all paintings in my etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AdventurousRabbit
Want a deal now? Free shipping is currently being offered on all in-stock prints!
Saturday, November 19, 2011
Wednesday, September 28, 2011
Tell us a little bit about yourself, your art, and your creative process.
I’m Lissy; I currently live in Orangeville, Ontario. Although I generally don’t like fantasy in books, movies, or video games, I am obsessed with it in photography and art. I like the draw of things that don’t exist, but really, really, should. That’s exactly what I think about when I create something. What doesn’t exist, but should?
What inspires you?
The process of growing up, the dream of travelling the world, carnivals, children dressed as Alice, and Tim Burton.
What’s in your stereo right now?
Deer by Manchester Orchestra. You’re lucky I actually listen to music while writing interviews.
Do you have a photograph of yours that’s a favorite?
I really don’t. Generally, my favourite picture is the most recent one I’ve taken.
What movie makes you laugh?
New Moon. It was so bad.
Where can we find you on the web?
Be sure to check out more photos by Lissy on Flickr and on her website.
Saturday, September 10, 2011
When the lights go out you can either sit around in candlelight waiting for them to come back on or you can do what we did, make the best of the situation and have a blackout party.
Here's what you'll need:
Here's what you'll need:
- Mood lighting such as candles and battery operated paper lanterns.
- Fully charged laptop or battery operated radio/ipod dock; basically something to play music on which could include an acoustic guitar or other instruments for the musically inclined.
- BBQ with fuel/charcoal.
- Food that you have to eat so it doesn't go bad (our neighbors bought a bunch of meat minutes before the power went out).
- Flashlights or headlamp to actually see what you're doing.
- Neighbors or friends that are always down to party.
- Cash to buy any needed supplies from the local liquor store (ice, beer, batteries, etc.). By the way, you need to do this ASAP before places close up shop for the night or they sell out of what you need.
- Chairs to bring outdoors since now you can actually see the stars without the normal light pollution.
- Some form of entertainment. For us this included a light-up frisbee and exercise ball.
- Sharing, cooperation, and a positive outlook (worrying about what will happen isn't any fun).
- Avoid driving if possible, many people were stuck in traffic for hours.
- Don't go to Target. The only place with generators and open for people during the night is not somewhere you want to be since that's where everyone else in the city will be.
- Having a radio or a smartphone that connects to the internet can be important for getting those essential updates (a car charger for your phone can also come in handy).
- Being prepared for any situation will leave you in a much better position than not and you'll be able to stay calm and maybe have some fun.
- Ironically the massive southwest power outage occurred during National Preparedness Month and SDGE emailed out the electric bills that morning.
Friday, August 26, 2011
Saturday, August 20, 2011
With e-books and Kindle taking over the market place, what will we do with all our printed books? I personally will be leaving mine on the bookshelf, but others have transformed them into art. Here are a number of Etsy artists who have used either the entire book itself or pages from it.
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
My Etsy shop has had its first blog feature on Live Love Bloom Craft. Check it out! http://loveinbloomboutique.blogspot.com/2011/08/featured-artisan-adventurous-rabbit.html
Also, find a 20% off coupon code there!
Also, find a 20% off coupon code there!
Friday, August 5, 2011
This open-faced bagel sandwich is yummy and so simple to make.
What you need:
- Bagel (I prefer Sprouted Wheat Sesame Bagels from Trader Joe's)
- Cheese such as cheddar or colby jack
- Basil, fresh from the garden (or pot in my case) is best
- Lemon pepper
- Microgreens (optional)
What to do:
- toast bagel
- put slice of cheese on each half and warm in oven on low till cheese starts to melt
- place basil and sliced tomato on top of cheese
- generously sprinkle lemon pepper over tomatoes, add a small amount of microgreens, and enjoy!
Sunday, July 24, 2011
I have to admit, I'm really excited to have my own desk at my new internship even if it is in a blah cubicle. One way I've added some much needed color is with this hummingbird garland. All you need is patterned or colored paper (check the scrapbooking section of Michael's), a stencil which can be easily made with cardstock, and thread/string. At a past job, I also made turtles, snowflakes, lilies, Eiffel towers and bats for co-workers which were hung from the shelves on the cubicles.
Saturday, July 23, 2011
Friday, July 15, 2011
Saturday, July 9, 2011
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
- Henry David Thoreau, Walden
Monday, June 27, 2011
I consider myself a lucky person, although I don't necessarily believe in luck per say. Rather I think that the energy that you put out into the world (including thoughts) you get back. I would like to think of my recent lucky moment, winning a $500 gift card, as a reward for the hard work I've done the past year. The gift card was for Lands End and I was able to use it at Sears on anything. I bet you're wondering where I won this gift card. I enter the Lucky Mag sweepstakes on a regular basis. They have new ones every month and you can register and save your info so you just have to click through a couple pages to enter (make sure you click no for ordering the catalog, I also choose to not receive any emails).
Other ways I've won:
- Winning raffles for gift cards for helping fellow students on their dissertations which usually involve short surveys. I also won a gift card for completing an Online Diversity Training.
- California Pizza Kitchen had a promotion going where you brought back a card for the manager to scratch. We ended up getting 50% off.
- I have one other raffles...the kind where you put your name in a bag and they draw a winner. One item I received was a high power water pump for a fish tank.
- Items from other magazine giveaways.
- I have also entered, but have yet to win from blog giveaways and surveys at the end of receipts from a variety of stores.
You may have seen the extreme couponers on TLC, well I'm definitely not one of them. I have, however, used coupons for items I buy normally although half the time I forget coupons at home. I also go to http://www.allyou.com/ where you can get daily free samples. http://thekrazycouponlady.com/ has a freebies section as well. There's a lot of overlap between these two, but not always. I don't do any Facebook likes for free samples, but I am willing to fill out a short form to get free stuff. I also use an email that is mostly for spam/junk mail when I sign up. I only get samples that are completely free and pass on any that you have to pay for shipping and handling for. Along with free samples you are bound to get really good coupons for those products.
Some free items I've gotten:
- A coupon for free coffee creamer (I love coffee so I go through creamer like crazy!).
- A coupon for a free bag of rice.
- A bunch of samples of shampoo, conditioner, body wash and so forth which is perfect for traveling or if you run out of your normal stuff.
- Emergen-C packs
Even though I don't save a ton all at once every little bit counts and definitely makes a difference with my grad school budget!
Sunday, June 5, 2011
Salt and pepper shakers can be a fun edition to your dinner table or kitchen. Here are some old and new styles.
Thursday, June 2, 2011
Saturday, May 28, 2011
I wanted some fun dishes for a Memorial Weekend BBQ and I'm pretty satisfied with what I got. I added these yellow bowls and green plates from World Market to a simple brown Ikea dining set. The blue glasses are from World Market, the yellow and green goblets are thrift store finds, and the blue dessert dishes are antique glass.
Sunday, May 15, 2011
Cafe21 is our go to place for breakfast. This small cafe is located on Adams Avenue in University Heights (they also have a location in the Gaslamp that is roomier). I have been to Cafe21 too many times to count and have tried a variety of their menu items. You have a range of drinks to choose from including loose-leaf teas, house coffee or espresso, mimosas, and fresh squeezed juices including the best pomegranate juice I've ever had. Their delicious food is always fresh and you are guaranteed to leave with a full belly.
Today I enjoyed the strawberry French toast (above) which is stuffed with whipped cream cheese and strawberries topped with strawberries, bananas, and kiwis. I also ordered a potato pancake side, which is a must! Cameron ordered the lamb sausage omelet (below). As you can see the omelets are served in a cast iron skillet with toast and one side. Cafe21 offers a number of vegetarian options as well, including a yummy feta omelet.
Click here for more information about Cafe21.
Wednesday, May 4, 2011
Feel the grass under your toes.
Cross your arms, grab hands, lean back and spin.
Throw your head back and look up at the sky.
Watch the clouds turn into animals.
Listen to the sounds of the world.
Grab a handful of sand and let it slip through your fingers.
Swing higher than you are tall.
Jump and imagine you are flying.